Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Challenges of the TRC

E-mail sent today

Hi Mom and Dad!

We got the cupcakes and everyone loved them! Thank you so much! I have enjoyed getting all of the things you have sent. Everyone in the district is telling me how loved I am and they thought it was awesome that you sent the district the cupcakes to share.

This is the last week that we could go to the TRC and teach in English. We had to do our introduction and getting to know the person, but we have to do the whole first and second lesson in Creole. I am going to have to work so hard to be able to do that. I don't think any of us are quite ready. This week in the TRC, we "helped someone move out", and learned vocabulary for different furniture and appliances in Haitian Creole. We also talked to him about the Word of Wisdom or keeping our bodies healthy, since he had a smoking problem. We did that in the language too. We had an investigator that was originally from Haiti. He was baptized a few years back. He is in Fre Jean's ward right now. His name is alexander. He spoke a very French dialect of Creole, but it was mostly the same. He said Mesi Boukou (which is more french) instead of Mesi anpil. I got so discouraged after we finished at the TRC. I had a hard time understanding what he was saying because of his accent. So did Elder Caldwell, except that he didn't worry about it. Alexander was even hard to understand in English, so we didn't answer his questions to what he needed because we didn't completely understand what he was saying. What we could say in creole was correct, but we couldn't understand everything he told us. I realized then that I have a long was to go before I will be able to preach the gospel effectively in creole or English. I felt very uncomfortable because of how I was struggling.

I hate to imagine what everyone else is going to experience when we actually get out into the mission area in 4 1/2 weeks. Elder Fenley is struggling a lot with the language. He has been trying so hard, but he can hardly say anything. He was supposed to give the panse espirityel (spiritual thought) yesterday morning, which is supposed to be in creole. He got up and after several seconds said, "I don't know how I am going to do this, but somehow, the Lord will provide a way." and then he sat down. He has had a rough time too. He has had the great faith to just keep trying at it, even though it feels hopeless for him.

I will write more in my written letter. There are only 30 seconds left. Tell friends to write!!!! bye!

Love, Elder Seamons

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like every foreign-speaking country missionary I ever heard! Pretty darn overwhelming to try to learn so much so quick, but I am SURE that Elder Seamons will do great...after all, he knows who to turn to for help, and with God's help, NOTHING is impossible!

    ReplyDelete